Organizers of the Tamworth Country Music Festival have announced that its 50th anniversary event will be postponed due to changes to COVID-19 security measures today.
- The Tamworth Country Music Festival has been postponed
- Organizers said they must act due to changes to COVID-19 security measures
- A shorter event is now planned for April
The 10-day event was scheduled to start next week on January 14.
This is the second year that the festival has been affected by COVID-19 after it was canceled last year.
Festival director Barry Harley said it was a tough decision to make.
The New South Wales government today announced that certain restrictions will be reintroduced to slow the spread of COVID-19 across the state.
These restrictions include new risk assessments by NSW Health on major events and a ban on signing and dancing in entertainment and hospitality venues.
However, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has said big events could take place as long as NSW does not deem the events to be high risk.
NSW recorded 38,625 cases of COVID-19 and 11 deaths during the last reporting period.
Organizers said that due to “so many uncertainties” the decision had to be made to postpone the festival until April.
The event will also run over a shorter period starting April 18.
“Given the current state of COVID transmission in our communities and the impact of new COVID security measures on our sites,” said Mr. Harley.