The 16 deaths included eight women and eight men aged 60, 70, 80 and 90. Seven people were from South West Sydney, two from South East Sydney, two from West Sydney, two from Interior West Sydney, one from the Central Coast, one from the South Coast and one from the north of Sydney.
There are 1,927 cases of COVID-19 admitted to hospital, with 151 people in intensive care, 38 of whom require ventilation. There were 98,986 tests performed.
NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said 50 million rapid antigen tests have been purchased by the state. The new purchase strengthens the already 50 million test reserves, bringing the total to 100 million.
“These tests will be crucial to ensure that children return to school on the first day, the first trimester. We are currently finalizing our back-to-school plans. It will be a central part of the plans [of] put the children back in class. We are totally determined to do it, ”he said.
Until January 27, singing and dancing will be banned in hospitality venues, entertainment facilities and major recreation facilities in New South Wales, with the exception of weddings and performances. This includes pubs, clubs, discos, bars and restaurants.
Upcoming major events will be risk-assessed, but organizers should assume they can continue unless contacted by NSW Health.
Other measures introduced late last month – including mandatory indoor masks, a two-square-meter density limit for hospitality venues, and mandatory QR code registrations – also remain in effect until January 27.
People were encouraged to use “common sense” in limiting large family gatherings, as well as meeting outdoors where possible.
NSW will also update its mandatory vaccination rules, to require that people who were previously scheduled to receive a double dose – including healthcare workers, aviation workers and teachers – receive their booster when eligible.
Throughout the last wave, someone was asked to look for a PCR test to record in the daily case count.
That will change this week, when positive rapid antigen tests are reported to health authorities through the Service NSW app. A positive rapid test result will not need to be confirmed by a PCR test, and a person with COVID may be linked to health services.
Public health orders should be updated to make reporting of rapid antigenic test results mandatory.
NSW Health’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Jeremy McAnulty said the new reporting mechanism would help relieve pressure on the healthcare system.
“We are working closely with Service NSW to enable people to record their positive test results and this will help ensure that people who have signed up will be connected to the health system so that they get advice and if they are. in high condition. groups at risk, be able to put in place specific additional processes, ”he said.
“If you have a rapid antigen test, you usually don’t need to have a follow-up PCR test, which will allow people to know their status faster and faster and relieve the pressure on the blood system. test.”
He also urged those who test positive via a rapid antigen test to self-isolate for seven days and notify close contacts to do the same.
Stay informed of the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the coronavirus update. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.