North Melbourne are under fire from all angles but manager David Noble has denied reports of internal unrest in a defiant press conference.
North Melbourne is a club under siege, but their manager and chief executive are standing firm, denying reports of unrest at Arden St.
A 47-point loss to Melbourne on Saturday night leaves the Kangaroos languishing in 17th place with just one win in 10 games in 2022 and the club further shaken by the resignation of three members of their recruiting squad at Same time.
Watch every blockbuster AFL game this weekend live and ad-free live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14 days free now >
It was revealed on Wednesday night that roster boss Glenn Luff has resigned after hearing comments made about him on television by former Port Adelaide star Kane Cornes which were the “last straw”.
Executive director Ben Amarfio and coach David Noble appeared before the media Thursday, denying there were any internal problems at the Kangaroos, despite club legend Wayne Carey saying on Triple M earlier in the week that they are “broken.”
“That surprised us,” Amarfio said of Luff’s departure. “We were disappointed, we would have loved to have him.
“We have 300 employees and the vast majority of our club say they are happy with the environment.
“Whether it’s Wayne Carey or whoever it is, we tell them… we’d love for them to come to the club, be part of the solution and help us through it. That invitation is there.
“I talk to the players. The players are happy. That’s what they’re telling us.”
Speaking to reporters Thursday, Noble said “disturbing” reports of a strained relationship between him and his players were off the mark.
comes after the herald sun revealed that Noble apologized to his troops after they were shocked by the ferocity of the spray he released after a loss to Brisbane in Round 3, which reportedly left some players emotional and one in tears.
“Our members and our fans understand that I accepted this job with the understanding that there will be difficult times. I’m here for the long haul. I want our club to be successful and strong,” Noble said.
“Substantially false stories have been reported, mainly about relationships with players, relationships with managers, they are ordered by the club to apologize. They are all fake.
“Nobody from this group picked us to win any games in this round… I want to win more games, nothing more clear, and we plan to win games every week. But that’s where we are.”
Noble then addressed the future of No. 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis, who has called off contract negotiations, prompting speculation that he could continue his AFL journey elsewhere after his first two years at North are up. Melbourne.
The Kangaroos coach also spoke about reports that the club spoke to Horne-Francis and reminded him of his responsibilities, after the teenager flew home to Adelaide for Mother’s Day when he and his teammates had several days off.
“It’s not an unusual situation for a first-round player not to sign his contract, that’s not an unusual circumstance. I don’t see it as a problem,” Noble said.
“He didn’t get in trouble, he wasn’t suspended. We sat down with him and said there are protocols because what if he gets a drug test and we don’t know where he is? They fine us.”
Originally published as ‘They’re all fake’: Kangaroos coach denies reports of club in crisis mode