North Korea launches suspected ballistic missile for first time in two months

North Korea launched a suspected ballistic missile into its eastern waters on Wednesday, just a week after Kim Jong Un pledged to increase the country’s military might.

The launch took place in the early hours of Wednesday morning, according to the South Korean and Japanese armies. It is not known where the suspected missile landed or if it caused any damage.

“We find it really regrettable that North Korea has continued to fire missiles since last year,” Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un speaks at a ruling Workers’ Party Politburo meeting in Pyongyang, North Korea. (AP / Korean Central News Agency / Korean Press Service)

It is the first missile launch in about two months after a series of tests from September to November last year, including a ballistic missile launched by a submarine.

NORTH KOREA ASKS FOR GREATER LOYALTY FROM KIM JONG UN AS PART OF THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF POWER

Kim Jong Un pledged last week at a meeting of the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party to increase the country’s military might.

“The increasingly volatile military environment on the Korean Peninsula and international politics have prompted calls to vigorously advance our plans to strengthen national defense without any delay,” said the leader, who marked 10 years at the time. power, at the meeting, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

On this Wednesday, October 2, 2019, photo provided by the North Korean government, a submarine-launched missile takes off in the waters off the coastal city of Wonsan, in eastern North Korea.  (Korean Central News Agency / Korean News Service via AP)

On this Wednesday, October 2, 2019, photo provided by the North Korean government, a submarine-launched missile takes off in the waters off the coastal city of Wonsan, in eastern North Korea. (Korean Central News Agency / Korean News Service via AP)

The United States and Pyongyang have not held formal nuclear talks since 2019, when negotiations initiated by the Trump administration collapsed.

The nation’s security adviser Jake Sullivan said last month that the Biden administration “had made no progress in diplomacy with North Korea” during Biden’s first year in office.

“We have expressed our willingness and willingness to engage in this diplomacy, and in the meantime, we continue to apply our sanctions and align closely with our allies,” Sullivan told the Council for Foreign Relations on the 17th. December.

Missiles walk past the stand with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other senior officials during a military parade marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of North Korea's founding father Kim Il Sung.

Missiles walk past the stand with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other senior officials during a military parade marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of North Korea’s founding father Kim Il Sung.
(REUTERS / Sue Lin Wong)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

North Korea’s extensive domestic problems have been exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic, as the hermit kingdom has cut itself off from much of the Chinese aid that has been its lifeline for years.

Assocheted Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *