No.10 Apologises To The Queen For Parties Held Hours Before Prince Philip’s Funeral

Downing Street has apologized to Buckingham Palace for hosting two staff leaving the day before the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.

No 10 is embroiled in a fresh scandal this morning after it emerged two going away parties were held for staff on April 16, 2021, when the UK was under Covid restrictions which banned mixing indoors between households.

Footage of the Queen mourning Prince Philip alone has sparked renewed public anger and demands for an apology from Downing Street, which it has now released.

Speaking to reporters, the Prime Minister’s Deputy Spokesman said it was ‘deeply regrettable that this came at a time of national mourning and that No 10 had apologized to the Palace’.

“You heard from the prime minister this week, he recognized that No 10 should be held to the highest standards and take responsibility for the things we didn’t do well,” he said.

Asked why it was an apology from Downing Street rather than Boris Johnson himself, the spokesman replied: ‘Again the Prime Minister said earlier that errors of judgment had been committed, and it is right for people to apologize as the Prime Minister did earlier this week.

“There remains the case, I cannot prejudge the investigation, which you know is ongoing and which is being led by Sue Gray, but we recognize the significant public anger.

“It is unfortunate that this took place in a time of national mourning.”

According to the Daily Telegraph, which first reported the allegations, staff stocked up on a “suitcase of wine” ahead of another round of boozy nights out when Covid restrictions were in place on April 17.

The revelry continued into the early hours of the morning with one participant reportedly breaking a swing belonging to the Prime Minister’s son, Wilfred.

The celebrations were to mark the departure of James Slack, Johnson’s former communications director and one of the prime minister’s personal photographers, the newspaper said. Slack apologized this morning for the “anger and hurt” caused by the party.

The spokesperson confirmed that Johnson was not invited to or attended the April 16 events because he was away at his country residence in Checkers.

When asked if Johnson knew if the parties were taking place, the spokesperson only replied that he was not in Number 10 on April 16 and was unable to comment as an investigation by senior civil servant Sue Gray was underway.

It has been reported that Gray – who is investigating parties alleged to have taken place in Downing Street during the pandemic – will also look into the events of April 16 as part of his investigation

Slack, who was appointed deputy editor of The Sun newspaper last year, said: “I wish to apologize unreservedly for the anger and hurt caused.

“This event should not have happened when it happened. I am deeply sorry and take full responsibility.

Labor leader Keir Starmer said the palace apology “shows how badly Boris Johnson has degraded the job of prime minister”.

“The Conservatives have failed Britain. An apology isn’t the only thing the prime minister is expected to offer the palace today.

“Boris Johnson should do the decent thing and step down.”

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *