PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Restrictions are underway on some of the major highways and roads in Pennsylvania and New Jersey ahead of the freezing rain. The cold overnight temperatures will freeze a light rain that is expected to start on Sunday morning.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has announced restrictions on its tier system. All levels limit buses, motorhomes and motorcycles. For a breakdown of the level system, click here.
READ MORE: Weather in Philadelphia: Freezing rain possible Sunday morning
As of 10 p.m. Saturday, vehicle restrictions are in place for the following roads at level 1:
- Highway 70 from the PA toll highway to the West Virginia border; and
- The entire length of I-79.
Level 1 also restricts tractors without trailers.
As of 11:00 p.m. Saturday, there is a Level 4 restriction on the PA Turnpike I-76 (Main Line) in both directions from Cranberry (Exit 28) to Breezewood (Exit 161).
Level 3 and 4 restrictions are foreseen for the following routes from midnight:
- I-70 from the Maryland border to the PA Turnpike (Tier 3);
- The entire length of I-99 (Tier 4); and
- I-80 from I-79 to I-81 (Tier 4).
READ MORE: Dover man told 911 he shot dead 67-year-old mother, Delaware State Police say
Starting at 2 a.m. on Sunday, Level 3 and Level 4 restrictions are expected for:
- The entire length of I-83;
- The entire length of I-84;
- The entire length of I-176;
- US 22 from I-78 to the New Jersey border; and
- US 33 from I-80 to I-78.
- The entire length of I-78;
- The entire length of I-81;
- The entire length of I-180;
- The entire length of I-380;
- I-80 from I-81 at the New Jersey border; and
- PA Turnpike I-76 (main line) in both directions from Breezewood (exit 161) to Reading (exit 286).
Level 4 restrictions begin at 5 a.m. Sunday for the PA Turnpike I-76 (main line) in both directions from Reading (Exit 286) to Bensalem (Exit 351) as well as the entire length of I-476 ( north-eastern extension) in both directions.
In New Jersey, the following restrictions go into effect Sunday at 2 a.m. and will be in place until further notice for the following highways in both directions:
- I-78, the entire length of the Pennsylvania border at I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike);
- I-80, the entire length of the Pennsylvania border at I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike);
- I-280, full length from I-80 to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike);
- I-287, the entire length of NJ Route 440 at the New York State border; and
- NJ Route 440, from Outerbridge Crossing to I-287.
NO MORE NEWS: Philadelphia shootings kill 2, injure 3 more on Saturday night, police say
The authorities are calling on drivers who must be on the road to be careful.