Canada’s national defense minister is denouncing what she calls a “desecration” of a monument intended to honor fallen Canadian soldiers.
In a Monday afternoon tweetAnita Anand said she was “disturbed” by an incident at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which is on the site of the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa.
Anand did not describe the events, but posted his tweet after images, including a video slideshow, of an American flag over the grave circulated on social media.
“The right to protest is something that those honored at the Tomb sacrificed their lives for, yet the desecration of this monument is unacceptable and shameful,” he wrote in his tweet.
I am disturbed by yesterday’s events at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The right to protest is something the Tomb honorees sacrificed their lives for, yet the desecration of this monument is unacceptable and shameful.
Police advisory lawyers
The Ottawa Police Service said it was aware of a video made on Sunday. The police force added that it would consult with Crown lawyers on what to do next.
It is not the first time conduct at the memorial site has come under scrutiny this year.
During the Freedom Convoy protests last winter, a woman danced on the grave. Police identified her but did not charge her, saying she had been told about it and she showed remorse.
According to the Department of National Defense, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a memorial containing the remains of an unidentified Canadian soldier who was buried near Vimy Ridge in France during World War I.
“The Tomb and National War Memorial are open to all visitors who wish to take a moment of reflection and contemplation on the sacrifices made by our military community,” DND said in an emailed statement Monday.
“It is considered sacred ground and a symbol of grim tribute that should be respected by all who visit and should not be used to send messages from any ideological perspective.”